Vida Glaser B.Sc.

Knowledge, Experience, Dedicated Service


A Tiny Home Romance Story (Cowichan Valley)

Do you know of someone who has wished to live in a tiny home? The idyllic setting on a forested piece of land near a creek?

What a romantic idea! Unfortunately, just as in some romances, you might end up heart broken….

Why aren’t there more year round liveable tiny homes in the area?

The answer isn’t simple.

Some questions to consider:

Is the tiny home on wheels, is it a recreational vehicle or is it a building?

If it is on wheels, then it might be a recreational vehicle - like an RV?

If it is not on wheels then it might be a building?

If it is a building meant to be used as a dwelling, does it have CSA approval? If not, then it requires a building permit and land suitable for a permit for this type of home. It must also have the needed infrastructure for water, sewage disposal, power hook ups and a substructure or foundation.

This is where the romance might result in heart break:

From Cowichan Valley Regional District: A tiny home (on a chassis with wheels) “may be used for intermittent camping at an approved camp site, but it is not designed for permanent human habitation. Placing this structure on your land for the purpose of using it as a year-round dwelling will be a violation of your local Zoning Bylaw and the BC Building Code”. In North Cowichan Municipality - a “factory built” tiny home must follow “regulation being the BC Building Code” and have manufactured home CSA approval. 

Where can you find the piece of forested land near a creek?

Ask your real estate professional to look for freehold land.  Always check with local municipal planners to see if your type of tiny home would be permitted for year round or seasonal use on the land. Minimum dwelling size requirement and distance watercourse setbacks may apply.

If other dwellings exist, zoning suitable for a secondary dwelling unit would be necessary.  Consider that your “tiny home” would need to meet manufactured home standards requiring CSA approval. (CSA Z240 MH or CSA A277) or would require a building permit and must meet BC building code.  The land would also need to have an ample water source and approved sewage disposal. 

Consult a trusted real estate professional and check with local municipality zoning bylaws, before you commit to your tiny home romance. To find that perfect home or for more information on the subject, contact Vida Glaser,


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
MLS® property information is provided under copyright© by the Vancouver Island Real Estate Board and Victoria Real Estate Board. The information is from sources deemed reliable, but should not be relied upon without independent verification.